Wednesday, September 26, 2007

All that worry

We met with the beloved surgeon today. Surprisingly the appointment went really well and we received good news. There are 2 very small air filled cysts in the lower left lobe of Samuel’s lung. Unfortunately there is still an abnormality present, but thankfully the cysts haven’t grown in size over the past 10 weeks. Also the type of cyst is inconclusive at this point which is important to know before going forward with surgery. The surgeon recommends waiting about 9 months and having another CT scan.

The risk of waiting is still infection, but this obviously outweighs the risks of surgery. The only type of surgery effective for Samuel’s situation is the removal of part of his left lung. We aren’t ready to do this and the surgeon feels that it’s in Samuel’s best interest to also wait. The scariest part is the chance of malignancy later in life. So far there haven’t been any long term comparative studies on those who elected to have the surgery and those that did not.

All we can do is continue to pray for God’s healing and our guidance as parents.
I’m sure if Samuel could talk, he’d say a big thanks for waiting on surgery. Luke is a bit bummed he’s not going to be spoiled by Birdie for a few days but he's still pretty happy for his big bro.

9 comments:

S, J, B, & S said...

We are SO thankful for this good news and will continue to pray for sweet Sam!
Love, Summer, Justin, & Blake

lohrding said...

So thankful for more answered prayers for Samuel.

We pray God's overflowing Blessings for all of you!

Love,
Dad and Mom/
Grandpa and Grandma

Ashley said...

Les- I have been thinking about you all day. God is good! I wish that you hadn’t had to bear the stress of this situation for so long and I wish that it didn't have to continue to be a stress. BUT I am so thankful and grateful for God's hand to be so continuously and obviously present though each step over the last 9 months. We love you guys and will continue to pray- the power of prayer sure has become apparent. I know there is still a long road ahead but YEAH for a good day! PLEASE kiss Samuel for us…and go ahead and give Luke one too! Miss you…

Anonymous said...

Leslie, I have had Samuel in my prayers since our visit at the hospital with Mandy & Abby. I have been anxious for you and I am so thankful for your good news. Can't wait to see ya'll again soon,
Lynda Bain (Bo's mom)

Hunter, Amanda, Hudson and Maddie said...

God is so good. We have been thinking about you everyday and we will continue praying for you and little Samuel!

Meredith said...

Les! Great news! Prayers are so powerful and you guys have so many people praying for you to continue to have good news!

Nicole said...

What great news!!! So glad that your appointment went so well. We will definitely continue to keep your family and little Sam in our prayers. Such a relief...I'm sure! Love, Nicole & Chloe

Kelli said...

Praise God for some good news! We will continue to pray for Samuel and you all over the next 9 months. You are such a great mom, and I admire you so much!

TeamRiss said...

Praise the Lord for this great announcement! So happy for you guys. See y'all tomorrow.