Well this week we did see our pediatrician, but unfortunately we didn’t make it in to see Santa. My husband is to blame. I will post Christmas pictures later this week, but they will not include Mr. Claus.
The boys were in the 8th percentile for weight and 50% for length and head circumference. We were told to practice, practice, practice sitting for the next month and if no major progress, we’ll possibly see a physical therapist. The pediatrician thinks the boys don’t want to sit, but can indeed do it. I guess we haven’t been tough enough. We were told to put them into their new car seats and get rid of the bouncy chairs, which are all contributing to their laziness. The snap n go will soon be history, but so will some clutter in our living room.
I have felt very confident about our pediatrician, until this week. She comes highly recommended and is very well respected in Dallas. My feelings changed at this appointment. I asked her opinion on delaying or splitting up the vaccines for my boys only because they are premature and I know their immune systems are different. She then went into a 30 minute lashing about it. I left feeling insulted and angry. And had more questions about nutrition and development. I am not a hippie parent who thinks medicine is bad because Jenny McCarthy went on Oprah. I am questioning the scheduling and necessity of some vaccines. I had chickenpox and so did everyone else I know. I am concerned about Autism, who isn't?
Health care professionals are probably all bombarded with vaccination questions from scared parents. Isn’t it their job to answer those questions in a non-judgmental, non-threatening way? I’m sorry if it takes an extra 30 minutes of your time, especially since I waited an extra 60 minutes to be seen.
Anyway I am posting this because I’d really appreciate your feedback on vaccinations, whether I should continue seeing this pediatrician, any helpful scientific websites, or motherly advice you might have. You Internets have been so very helpful in the past. I feel confident about going to the store and crating my boys one by one into and out of the car thanks to you!! Or at least I don’t feel unconfident about it all.



9 comments:
I have never split up the vaccines. Honestly, it never crossed my mind with my older two girls, but it has gotten so much more publicity recently. However, a girlfriend of mine has split up the shots for both of her kids. It was not her doctor's choosing, but he honored her wishes because she was mom. She just adds in extra visits along the way to accomodate the shots.
Bottom line: you are the mother. You know best!!! If you want to split those shots up, it is your choice. Even if you doctor thinks it is unneccesary, she should respect your decision.
We have learned with Macy that a lot of times, we have known what is best for her. We have often followed our gut with her even if it is not what the dr. suggested. I really think your situation was mishandled. That is so frustrating!
Hi Leslie,
I had premature twins 2.4 yrs ago, born at 33 weeks as well as a 32 wk singleton who is now 5. I am also a pedi (office) RN. Please take this as MY opinion only, but I am very pro vaccine. Too many parents haven't seen VERY sick children from polio, measles or many other diseases. The reason people haven't witnessed this in our generation is b/c of vaccines. My Dad had polio as a child and the stories I have heard are horrific. He thankfully came out of it OK, but many others didn't. I think if people started to see what these diseases do to children and families they wouldn't question some vaccines for a minute. I agree with you that parents should educate themselves and ask questions. After all, that is why you go do a DR. To get their educated opinion and then use that to help you make your own. I know that many people may disagree with me and have concerns RE: autism etc. Everyone should educate themselves and make the right choice for their family. My 3 kids (all premature) have done fine with vaccines.
As to your visit with your Dr, he/she shouldn't have treated you that way no matter what his/her ideas were, and should have listened to your concerns. In my experience as a nurse, I have seen many DRs act like that in regards to discussing vaccines. Most of them have seen very sick children die from some of the diseases. Once you see that and know their is something out there to prevent it, they become a bit opinionated on the subject. In fact, the office I worked in if you didn't vaccinate your kids you were asked to leave the practice.
Good luck with your boys & I love reading about your adventures! You have a beautiful family!
Stephanie
Leslie,
I too have had these very same questions about shots for our twins. Our last clinic was really good about allowing us to wait for shots with our older two children. Our new clinic since our move is VERY SERIOUS about getting them ON TIME! I have felt very offended at some appointments, since ultimately I am the parent, and I feel like my clinic as as if they get the last word. What I don't get is "If they wouldn't allow my 2 year old to get her 2 year old shots even ONE DAY before her b'day why would they want my twins that were three weeks early to get them right on time? At the girls' 4 month appointment, I opted for them to get only half of their shots. He told me to come in the next month to get the other set but the girls were sick, it was right around T'giving, AND frankly...I really didn't want to. I bet I'll get a scolding next week when we go in. I think ultimately it is OUR decision as a parent. I wish the medical field respected that, regardless of what they think.
She was very clear that children in Dallas die of the flu, measles, meningitis, etc and I don't doubt that. My problem was her attitude, sarcasm, and inflexibility. I understand her frustration with things like taking calls in the middle of the night and now not knowing if the kids are vaccinated, but she didn't acknowledge my concerns whatsoever. I will vaccinate my children, but I'm just unsure of loading their immune systems up all at once with every single vaccine they make like Hep B and Varicella.
When my children were getting all of their shots (youngest is almost 4) I never heard about delaying or splitting up the vaccines. Now, if I were a Mom of premature babies I would elect to delay and/or seperate them. I am sorry your Doc was so rude...I would have a hard time going back to her. She is not the only Dr out there...there is one that will be a perfect fit for you and your children. Best Wishes! Tracy in SD
Our boys didn't sit up until about nine or ten months. Our pedi said,they'll sit when they're ready. Don't worry about the laziness. I'm sure they will do fine.
Welllllll, as you know we have split up Blake's shots. I did alot of research when B was a newborn and just did what I felt was best for us. I just think that the schedule they set for infant vaccinations is too much for their little immune systems to handle. I mean seriously ... isn't it something like 33 vaccinations in the first year of life now, compared to the 10 we got as children? That's gotta take a toll on their developing bodies.
I do think all kids should be vaccinated, but I just think the shots should spaced out and in some cases delayed.
As for the MMR ... we're waiting on that one. It scares me! We may split it up (do the M, the M, and the R separately) ... guess we have 3 months to decide. And we are not doing chicken pox OR the last Hep B ... I did some research on those and decided that the risks outweigh the benefits. Just my personal opinion.
Anyway, sorry for the rambling. It's a HUGE decision. And I definitely think you should find a doctor who will respect YOU as a parent and won't lecture you. I have considered switching myself because my pedi isn't too keen on my vacc opinions, although he has honored my wishes thus far.
I'm interested to hear everyone's opinions on this. Let me know what you decide!
MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YA'LL! :)
Wow, I think I would have been very frustrated if my doctor treated me as yours did...hopefully your confinence in her will be reinstated, or you will have peace to move to a different doc.
I actually DID watch the Oprah show, and had had my twins vaccinated the day prior to Jenny McCarthy being on. And of course, as much as I don't turn to Oprah for scientific studies, I still was concerned that I had made a bad decision. My sister in law also saw the show, and emailed her friend, who is a neo-natologist & whose husband is a pediatrician who specializes in public health. They recommended that my sister in law look at these websites. I am not sure if they would be helpful or not...
http://www.cdc.gov/od/science/iso/concerns/thimerosal.htm
http://www.vaccinesafety.edu/thi-table.htm
I also know that my pharmacist friend considered splitting up the vaccinations for her full-term daughter, but then decided not too. I have basically followed her lead, as I know she understands so much more of the scientific literature than I do.
Good luck with the sitting up! I have found that it was a fun milestone to hit, as the kids were so much happier when they could be off of their backs and stomaches. Now they just want to STAND, STAND, STAND!!!
Oh, when mine were learning to sit up, they especially benefitted from toys that they could lean on...we had one triangle toy that was a good height for them to play with, but it also supported them some...just a thought. Sorry I can't give you a better description.
Sorry again about the doctor visit.
Hey Leslie,
I too am a pediatric nurse but work in the hospital not the clinic. I don't agree with the majority of anything Jenny McCarthy said on Oprah, however her comment about "1 vaccine fits all" stuck with me. I do think you should vaccinate your boys but I don't think there is anything wrong with splitting the dose or even postponing until their 18 month appt. I have worked with several doctors who are willing to do this. I am sure as a doctor it is frustrating to answer questions about vaccinations, knowing ultimately how important they are to preventing horrible diseases, however if any doctor spoke to me in that way especially with your medical background I would find a new doctor. They are probably bombarded with questions from people who aren't as educated in medicine and watched Oprah and now are questioning vaccinations. I think the bottom line about the MMR, is that there is still so much unknown about whether we can link it to autism or not.We don't know what causes autism and until they figure it out,I think they need to be open to having the conversation and helping you feel secure in the decision you make, not if but when to vaccinate.Not all immune systems are equal. Babies born premature certainly bring a whole new aspect to it as well. Aside from that whole aspect of it, your pediatrician clearly mishandled the way she approached the conversation. That alone is a breaker for me. After being a nurse and working in medicine, it isn't all black and white, there is a lot of grey area when it comes to what is the best decision for the individual and they need to be open to have the conversation with you, not belittle you. Having questions regarding vaccinations is completely valid. As far as parents know what is best for their child, maybe not always in medicine but they have the right to raise questions and I don't think it would hurt to get another opinion. I think you will find there are some doctors who are on the fence and willing to delay the timing of vaccinations based on an individual basis.
On another note, any helpful information you have regarding baby products with twins that you found absolutely necessary, keep the info freeflowing.. I am all ears! Merry Christmas and God bless
Post a Comment