Thursday, November 6, 2008

ALLERGIES

Luke has started breaking out from various foods all the time so I took him in last week for an allergy test. Turns out he is highly allergic to egg whites and peanuts and less allergic to walnuts, soy, and wheat. I think he is also allergic to strawberries and oranges, but the test didn't include fruit or vegetables. He is also allergic to mosquitos and dogs. I'm sure he'll outgrow many of these in a few years, but if not we'll take him to an allergist and maybe doing some desensitizing. I am still not eating dairy or soy, so what are we supposed to eat? What are good recipe websites for families with allergies?

The pediatrician freaked me out a bit today when he called to let me know that he had called in an epi pen and what I should do if Luke ever is in respiratory distress. Not exactly how I want to use my nursing degree.

No idea what is causing allergies to be on the rise, but I don't believe breast milk has anything to do with allergies and eczema. I obviously did everything the same for Luke and Samuel way past their first birthday and they got plenty of breast milk until about 8 months. Did I mention this all comes from my HUSBAND'S side of the family? He'll have some explaining to do pretty soon.

11 comments:

Ashley said...

Ugh...Leslie, when is something going to be easy at your house? Maybe all 3 boys will be really easy teenagers :-)

S, J, B, & S said...

Poor Luke! At least you have an idea what's causing it now ... and sorry, I have no clue as to what to feed him! ???

Dunhams said...

Poor baby! I'm sorry :( So lucky that you're a nurse because I feel like I wouldn't have any idea what to do about all that allergy stuff.

Elyse said...

Poor sweet Luke. www.kidswithfoodallergies.org is a really good one. There are all sorts of allergy free things out there too. Enjoy Life is a great brand for allergy free foods. I live with lots of allergies, so feel free to ask questions.
Hang in there, it does get easier. He can still eat fruits, meat, bread that is wheat free too.

~Elyse~

Lucy said...

Leslie. I've looked at your blog before, but this is my first time to comment (I think). I met you briefly at Hudson and Luke's Halloween party. I'm Eleanor's mom if that rings a bell.

Anyways, my mom has a lot of food allergies (mostly to wheat) and my grandmother has a really serious nut allergy. I know that Whole Foods has been a great resource for allergy free foods. They have a lot of wheat and gluten free bread options. Also, the employees are really helpful if you go in and tell them what your food restrictions are. They should be able to help you find some healthy options for Luke. Have you tried rice milk? My cousins have extremely bad dairy and soy allergies, so they drank rice milk while they were growing up. I hope you guys can figure out some good alternatives for the time being and that Luke will eventually outgrow his allergies.
xxLucy

Unknown said...

So sorry to hear about Luke's allergies. Bea says that she will be happy to talk to her cousin about keeping safe when he is a little older : )
FAAN (http://www.foodallergy.org/) is really good and we always carry children's zyrtec with the epi-pen. Sunflower seed butter from Whole Foods or Trader Joe's is a favorite peanutbutter substitute. The three boys are adorable! Big hugs from all of us. Cindy

Unknown said...

So sorry to hear about Luke's allergies. Bea says that she will be happy to talk to her cousin about keeping safe when he is a little older : )
FAAN (http://www.foodallergy.org/) is really good and we always carry children's zyrtec with the epi-pen. Sunflower seed butter from Whole Foods or Trader Joe's is a favorite peanut butter substitute. The three boys are adorable! Big hugs from all of us.

amyla said...

leslie, I am so sorry...that is so hard and just more effort! uggghhhI am not real sure about the food either. I know there are SO many things out there now. Love ya,
a

Jaime said...

So sorry, Leslie! It seems like with our sweet babies it's always something, but we all know they're worth it. I don't know any websites offhand, but wheat pasta dishes are good. I know you don't want to eat pasta everyday, but that's a start. Keep me posted...oh, and the reflux stuff seems to be okay if I hold her upright for FOREVER after a feeding.

Annie said...

Hi Leslie,
I have seen your blog from Meredith's blog. My son also had food allergies and has now outgrown some of them but still is intolerant so we shop at Market Street, Central Market of Whole Foods. What is great now is that the food labels must say what if diary, wheat, nuts, etc.. are included. Also one thing my son loves is alphabet potatoes (at Target I think) that are veggies/potatoes. Also I did the rice milk when I was breastfeeding and actually grew to get use to it! WE have a WONDERFUL allergist also if you ever need a recommendation! Hang in there!!

TeamRiss said...

I'm sorry to hear about Luke's allergies (and Ian's colic). Saying an extra prayer for your fam right now...