Thursday, November 8, 2007

Respiratory Syncytial Virus

Fall is by far my favorite time of year, although with fall also comes RSV season. The boys are very healthy now and were not born during the peak of RSV season; therefore we were denied the RSV vaccine. Insurance companies are very stingy about who qualifies for Synagis because it is ridiculously expensive. We have been given strict rules from our pediatrician on how to limit our risk. We aren’t to put the boys into any type of nursery (including church) for at least one year, limit exposure to other children and babies during RSV season, avoid holiday gatherings, encourage anyone who visits to have the flu vaccine, and most importantly WASH YOUR HANDS! The risk factors for RSV that impact our boys include:
Multiple births
Low birth weight (less than 5.5 lbs)
Premature (born before 35 weeks)
Lung issues at birth
It will be very hard to avoid gatherings for the next 6 months and will make for a very long fall and winter. I have to do everything I can to lessen the chances of Luke and Samuel getting this horrible virus no matter how difficult it might be. I have spent a lot of time researching and read way too many horrible stories about RSV. Most will acquire RSV at some point in their childhood, but it's the preemies who are most susceptible and often struggle the most. They are most at risk until the age of 2. If they contract the virus it can lead to months to years of asthma, pneumonia, respiratory infections, repeat hospitalizations, etc. I do realize that I am not in control and can only pray for their health and protection.
For more information about RSV please visit this site and blog.



On a brighter note...the boys and I are loving our fall morning walks.



1 comment:

S, J, B, & S said...

Praying that those sweet boys stay RSV-free this cold and flu season!!